Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flowers and Civil War battlefields

This is one of our dahlia plants. The blossoms are as big as James' head.
The boys and I drove to Gettysburg yesterday to meet up with Mom-mom for a bit of shopping, some battlefield-sight-seeing and a picnic. Here are some pictures from "Devil's Den". The boys loved climbing on the rocks. The park is such a neat place. The boys love it, mostly because of all the open space to run and stuff to climb on. Each time I go, I try to learn at least one new fact. Devil's Den was a union held position, by troops from Orange County New York. It was heavily contested on the second day of fighting and did change hands as the Union troops were driven back. I have this very youthful idea that bad and scarry things happen at night in the dark, but that's obviously not true. It's just hard to imagine something so scarry in a beautiful place on a sunny summer day. I'm grateful to be able to visit and to enjoy the outdoors, my mom, my boys, and a little bit of history too! Thanks Mom-mom!













No comments: