Friday, October 3, 2008

Aztec Roses


When I tell Luca that it's time to go to bed, he'll try to distract me, or tell me that, "It's not good manners to say that." One way that he distracts me is to yell: "Oh no, a deer is eating your Dahlias." He's right, I am so entrenched in an epic battle with our deer over my flowers that when offered the use of a compound bow by a friend, I actually considered it for a moment. But since my ethics would then compel me to eat the deer, I defered. When Luca eats sausage he likes to pretend that he's a dinosaur and the sausages are dahlias (since we all know that dahlias are a dinosaur's favourite food). He also likes to whack my dahlia plants with a stick - but I'm not quite far enough removed from the incident to make an impartial description. He's also finding that girls (his mom) like it when he gives them a flower to put in a vase - our nieghbors would prefer that the flowers be ones picked from our garden. The starches in the tubers of these Aztec flowers were used before the invention of insulin to treat diabetes.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Your flowers are amazing. We just went to a local park with a Dahlia garden. I couldn't believe all of the varieties. They were gorgeous!

Anya and Joe McCombs said...

Is Luca out of time-out yet for the Dahlia incident? I love the pictures!

Deon said...

Fun to find your blog! I love the flower photos - you should show them to Sister Cox! She would be proud of you. I adore James - he is too cute when he watches me teach SS.