Friday, June 3, 2011

Strawberries

We went berry picking yesterday near Gettysburg. The strawberries were perfect. So sweet, and all red juicy goodness inside. Not like the ones you buy in the grocery store that are picked too soon and the insides are white and disappointing.
It got me thinking about gratitude. I imagined people a hundred years ago or more going out to the fields to pick strawberries. I imagined how they'd anticipate their arrival for months and for a few short weeks bask in the joy of fresh strawberries. Unlike now...we can purchase mediocre strawberries all year long, like so many other fruits and vegetables that we can have out of season from the other side of the equator. I'm not saying that I want to go back, I love refridgerators, freezers, and variety. I just wonder if we miss out on some of the joy of the harvest...and if we lack the gratitude in simple pleasures. So, last night we induldged in strawberry shortcake and all felt grateful:)





"Umm...Mom?" she asks, "Why are you sitting me in this prickly stuff?"





No comments: