Friday, May 4, 2012

Rose Rice

So I love that pic of James and Libby in their "window seat".  Cute huh? But not really what I wanted to blog about.

I love our street.  We have some of the best neighbors ever.  Every afternoon all the kids play together outside.  (To the mean neighbor's dismay.). They catch caterpillars, play soccer or baseball, ride bikes, or make up their own games.  Our street is great for kids.  But it's nice for grown-ups too.

Last night we had kabob patties and Rose rice.  "Rose Rice" is a dish named after my next door neighbor Rozita.  When we first moved here she started bringing us Iranian food, and we fell in love.  I get so tired of the same old boring flavors, and she taught me how to make something new.   More importantly she became a dear friend.   She is the one I go to when I need to talk, or I need an egg, or I need someone to look at a suspicious bump on my back to make sure its not a tick.

Anyway... if you want to make something different, try this.  I probably don't do it exactly right, and most of what Rose makes is super complicated, but this isn't.  You just need saffron (pictured above).  Saffron is super expensive, but you only need a little bit.  You need to grind it to powder.  Morter and pestle would be nice, but I just used the back of a spoon.  In true Rozita style (always super generous), she gave me this packet of it that probably cost $75.

The "kabobs" are just ground beef with onion.

Blend half an onion in blender to liquid.  Mix with one pound beef add salt pepper and shape.  Then grill.

For Rose rice, use basmati rice.  Prepare as directed.  Add a dab of butter.  Take half tsp of ground saffron.  Mix with a couple tablespoons (2-3) of hot water, pour over cooked rice.  Grill some tomatoes to go with it.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments: