Thursday, April 26, 2012

Want to be five again?

I'm really happy with my grown up life, but this place was so cool that for a couple minutes I wanted to be five again.  It is the "storyville" at a local library.  And can you believe, it is "free"?  It has a store, house, forest, bus, construction zone, post office, and theater.  All with costumes and props.  So much detail.  The house had a window box with flowers that grew when you turned the crank.  Play money in the cash registers, a play washing machine with laundry in the house.  Every detail you could imagine to make it realistic.  It wasn't too crowded and the parents were engaged with their children, not just on their phones ignoring them.  My only complaint is that you have to be five or under to play.  I understand why they do that, but the imagination isn't quite at the point to really appreciate the place.  A six, seven or eight year old (heck, I'm not going to lie, I probably would have wanted to play here at age twelve) could really enjoy acting out the different roles in a place like this. 

James and Libby LOVED it.  We'll definitely go back again. 

But a part of me can't help wondering, if we create it all so real for them, do they have to imagine at all?

Kind of like a quote from that Anne-girl (of Green Gables).  Something to the effect that gold gilded sunbursts and marble halls would be lovely, "but there's more scope for the imagination without them."


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Where is this awesome play area? Not that any of my kids are allowed in it but I'm in awe that I never found it when they were younger!

The Huff Family said...

We loved Storyville when we were in Maryland. Sydney still mentions it every once in a while. Your kids are adorable and getting so big! I hope you guys are doing well. We miss you!

TIna said...

This looks like so much fun!